Memory lapses can be frustrating and worrying. Forgetting a co-worker’s name might just be an embarrassing slip up, but when you start missing appointments or leaving the stove on, it’s definitely a cause for concern. You may even wonder if it’s a sign of Alzheimer’s or other form of dementia.
A lot of people think that forgetfulness is unavoidable as you age. However, that’s not necessarily true. The strength of your memory depends on the health and vitality of your brain. This is why many lifestyle factors can have a big impact on your ability to recall things.
There are plenty of seniors with excellent memory, while some adults become scatter brained as early as their 30s. Cognitive decline is a complicated subject, but there are things you can do to keep your brain strong as you get older.
Five Simple Ways to Improve Memory
Keeping your brain sharp is easier than you think. Making a few changes to your daily routine can significantly improve your memory, focus, and general mental performance. Here are our suggestions for supporting brain health and boosting memory.
- Get more sleep – One of our previous blog posts talked about how important sleep is for your health. When you are sleep deprived, memory is one of the first things to be affected – recalling things becomes much harder, and you’re too drowsy to concentrate.
During sleep is when your brain is busy processing information and consolidating memories. Thus, a lack of sleep directly impairs your ability to learn and remember. Memorization alone isn’t enough, you need shuteye to form long-term memories.
This is in addition to the other health risks of sleep deprivation, like obesity and diabetes. Make sure to get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night. If you find this difficult, check the post we linked above for tips on fighting insomnia.
- Keep a balanced diet – We can’t stress enough how important good nutrition is for keeping your mind sharp and functioning well. Food is fuel for the brain, so the nutrients you consume have a big impact on mental performance.
For instance, a diet rich in healthy fats like Omega-3 Fatty Acids is great for your brain. This is why fish, olive oil, and avocado are commonly cited as “brain foods”. Vegetables like broccoli and celery are also superb, while the lycopene in tomatoes is a powerful antioxidant.
On the other hand, an unhealthy diet with too much trans fats and saturated fats can severely affect your mind’s performance. Are you having a hard time meeting your brain’s daily nutritional needs? Supplements like our Mind & Memory Matrix supplement can help. We’ll talk more about it later.
- Give your brain a workout – Do you often challenge your brain, or are you completely set into a routine? Just like your muscles, the brain needs exercise to stay fit and healthy. You have to keep providing it with appropriate stimulus and new information, otherwise it will slowly deteriorate.
A great way to strengthen memory is by learning a new skill. How about picking up a musical instrument? Or studying a different language? Step out of your comfort zone! Structured learning is wonderful exercise for your brain, as long as you pick something that really catches your interest.
You shouldn’t neglect physical exercise either. Regular cardiovascular activity like jogging or biking has significant benefits for memory. It raises your heart rate and promotes good blood flow to the brain, while enlarging the hippocampus (which is responsible for storing and retrieving memories).
- Manage stress levels – Chronic stress is one of the brain’s worst enemies. After enough time, it can damage brain cells and the hippocampus region. Stress has been directly linked to memory loss, so pick up meditation or other stress reducing activities.
Being too anxious about your spotty memory doesn’t help either. Just think of the times you couldn’t remember someone’s name, or what you were going to buy at the store. The more worked up you get, the harder it is to actually recall what you forgot.
When you forget something important, it’s best to take deep breaths and try to calm yourself down before mentally retracing your steps. You’ll be surprised at how much easier it is to remember things without anxiety weighing you down.
- Spend time with loved ones – Humans are social creatures. We thrive on relationships, and interacting with friends or family is essential for stimulating the mind. Volunteering or taking care of a pet can also help fill this need. In fact, this may be the most important tip on this list.
Forming social connections can help improve both emotional and brain health. A study found that people with fulfilling social lives had much slower cognitive decline, and maintained sharp mental faculties as they aged. Even if you’re busy, be sure to make time for the people in your life.
Lastly, keep in mind that poor memory can also be a sign of serious health problems. Depression, hormone imbalances, and diabetes are conditions that can result in mental sluggishness and memory loss. Make sure to consult a doctor to see if a medical condition is behind your recent forgetfulness.
Mind & Memory Matrix: A Supplement Filled with Brain Boosters
Now in most cases, the five steps we talked about will significantly improve your memory. But are you looking for something more? If so, supplementation may be the answer.
There’s no replacement for a healthy lifestyle, but a good memory supplement can fill the gaps in your diet and give your brain what it needs to function properly. Our Mind & Memory Matrix is the perfect blend of natural herbs and extracts for boosting mental performance.
Give our nootropic supplement a try! Every capsule contains a rich amount of brain enhancing ingredients. Here’s a list of benefits offered by our product:
- Improves memory – The herbs in our blend have proven benefits for recall, and can help strengthen memory.
- Enhances focus – Concentrate on your tasks better, and ignore troublesome distractions around you. This supplement is great for boosting productivity at work.
- Fights “brain fog” – Do you constantly feel tired and confused, like your mind is clouded? Brain fog is very common these days, and this supplement can help reduce its symptoms.
- Supports brain health – Nourish your brain to keep it in top shape! Fight cognitive decline by giving your brain the vitamins and minerals it needs on a daily basis.
This formula contains potent herbal ingredients and vitamins. With our memory supplement’s help, you can say goodbye to forgetfulness.
Natures Design has nutritional supplements for every need. Our goal is to spread the gift of better health, and help improve your quality of life. Do you have any questions? Contact us today! We would be glad to hear from you.